Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Quiz #1 - What Am I?

I just love the little things you find out among the trees!



1) What type of organism is this? (Bonus point if you can name the genus and species - Latin spelled correctly!)

2) What are the (relatively) round disc-like structures on it? What function do they serve?

---

I'll leave this open til 5 p.m. Friday, or whenever I get back from Olympia. Fawn and I are demonstrating how volcanoes work at an event over there. I'm not sure when we'll get back to Tahoma Woods. First person to post here with the correct answers wins my respect. LOL ;)

3 comments:

  1. Well, at first look I didn't know for sure, but I'm quite sure it's a lichen. An alpine lichen? I'm searching for a latin name...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its a lichen and I think it's breeding. Hopefully you put it back outside so we won't have to make a crazy movie about the "Lichen that took over the Cabin!" Poor Boots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lobaria oregana and are tripartite symbiotic relationships among a fungus, a green alga, and a cyanobacterium.

    It might not be right but it makes me sound like a plagerizing nerd!! I lifted it from a MRNP website.

    ReplyDelete