Monday, March 16, 2009

Flat Stanley Came for a Visit!

Raise your hands: how many of you know who Flat Stanley is? Well, before today, I'd never met him either. But apparently, this little guy travels around the world in an envelope learning things every where he stops.

Mt. Rainier National Park received a Flat Stanley from an elementary school (sorry, can't remember off the top of my head which school sent us the little guy) last week. After researching what the program was about, I brainstormed a bunch of things to include in Stanley's journal for the week. Here's what Stanley will do, in some form or fashion:

  1. Learn about winter recreation and avalanche safety. (cool park stuff!)
  2. Go on a snowshoe hike with me at Paradise. (cool park stuff!)
  3. Visit the Longmire Museum and whichever ranger is on duty there. (history, science)
  4. Compare his height to the height of Mt. Rainier. (math)
  5. Learn about volcanoes and geology. (science)

I didn't have my camera in the office today, but I will get pictures of Stanley having fun in the park. :)

--

Of course, those of you who know about the Flat Stanley book and program know that this is primarily a literacy project for elementary school students. But I will be adding in a bit of science and math. Go figure. That's what the students get for sending him to a park. ;)

--

No recent update on Boots. I haven't heard him much in the past few days - maybe he was away for the weekend? The light was on in his apartment when I walked by earlier, on my way to the laundry room.

4 comments:

  1. Go Flat Stanley go. My aunt took my cousins Flat Stanley to London (I think, maybe Italy). I can't remember the year. The kids will definitely enjoy what their FS has to tell them about his trip to the National Park :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to hear about the finished product. Sounds fun, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My niece sent me Flat Stanley when I lived in Florida. He got to visit the university's fitness center, pet the neighborhood llama, and see the sponge fishing boats at Tarpon Springs. Good times.

    ReplyDelete