Friday, September 11, 2009

Back to the Blazing Metropolis...


...that is Ashford, Washington.

My detail to the East (a.k.a. "Sunny") Side of the Park is over. No more waking up to Alpenglow at 6:30 a.m. Sigh.

I'm sitting here at Whittaker's in Ashford, attempting to catch up on things that have happened during the past month while I was out of touch. (Am I ever really in touch?!) Yet all that's on my mind is food.

For those of you who are curious, the wild berry-picking total for the season thus far is:

1 qt, 1 c. Blackcap raspberries
2 c. Thimbleberries
1 c. Salmonberries (Hannah and I ate most of what we picked in July!)
1 qt, 2 c. Blackberries
4+ qts. mixed Blueberries and Black Huckleberries

Needless to say, it's jamming season here. I also picked up a couple of pickle recipes from Ranger Julia last week. Very interesting; I'll have to try them. Makes me hungry just to think about it. Oh, and a small jar of peach ketchup was shared around the south blockhouse at Sunrise, thanks to Ranger Julia as well. I REALLY want to try to recreate that recipe. Seriously yummy.

I have a 3-day weekend this weekend, as I only had 1 day off during the past two weeks. I have a huge to-do list, including laundry, groceries, banking, etc. etc. etc.

Or maybe I'll just sleep the weekend away.

No comments:

Post a Comment