Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Meet Mr. Slug

Pacific Banana Slug
Ariolimax columbianus

I found this little creature on the road as I walked to work this morning. You can't tell it from the picture, but he is about 3.5" long and about .5" tall. Biggest slug I've ever seen. I looked up the species, these apparently are the second largest slugs in the world, the largest in North America. These eat lots of dead plant material and some mushrooms.

They coat their body with a slime that both keeps them hydrated and helps them slide along easier. It is said that the slime might actually make a good glue. And yes, they dehydrate easily. Don't pour salt on slugs!

2 comments:

  1. That one was only 3 1/2 inches? He's not the biggest one you're going to see--he's just a baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's awesome to find someone who thinks a slug is interesting enough to take a picture of it. He's much fancier than my slug: http://jaynesendlessknot.blogspot.com/2009/03/slimy-saturday.html

    So often the little details in nature are passed by and not deemed worthy of notice, but that is often where I find the most joy! (though not necessarily always in slugs :)

    ReplyDelete