Thursday, December 1, 2011

Deep Ramblings... Quotes to Ponder

More than 10 years ago, I used to write a weekly thought column. It was in a little weekly announcements bulletin for a student group on my college campus. You see, I've always been struck by the words - or lack thereof - of other people. So I took a quote I'd heard or thought a lot about that week and printed it up with a few of my own thoughts.

I guess it was a way for me to work through and express some of my reflections and ideas in a seemingly chaotic world that wouldn't listen. One old saying goes, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease." Somehow, I never seemed to squeak enough. But when I wrote things down, those thoughts somehow got out.

I still have the quote collection - and it is growing. But it's been a long time since I wrote this sort of 'column' regularly. I can't even seem to get a blog out regularly. Most of my thoughts get put into Microsoft Word documents, never to see the light of day.

It's so much easier for me to just put my nose to the proverbial grindstone and crank out project, program, or task at work than to stop and make my voice really heard.

Like every work place in the so-called 'grown-up world', I work in a VERY political environment, as many of you know. Plus, especially in this economic downturn, jobs are scarce and we must be very competitive - even for the most basic entry-level job.


So it's better to BE ineffective than to SEEM ineffective?
-President Mackenzie Allen, Commander In Chief


Although the show Commander In Chief lasted only one season, I've found some lines that grabbed me. I often wonder how effective or efficient I really am. That quote really seems applicable to my week right now. Many people at work seem to bring projects to me, so I guess I'm doing something right. And I try to prioritize work-related tasks/projects based on the greatest good for the greatest number. I want to streamline daily responsibilities without sacrificing the quality of my work. I want to make my work place run better. But it seems I always get hit in the face with the roadblocks of bureaucracy, seniority and politics.

I'm trying to grow up and face these challenges head-on. I know many folks are very frustrated right now by our elected officials and government bureaucracy. No matter what your political beliefs may be, frustration exists on all sides, especially on the INside. But the parks, in my opinion, are worth fighting for. Our national history and treasures are an amazing collection from which we all can and should learn. Believe me when I say that I've had too many happy memories in our parks to not give 100% to my job and career, no matter the daily roadblocks. I'm striving to protect our national treasures and connect everyone within reach to these amazing places and artifacts.

No comments:

Post a Comment