Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Welcome to Mount Rainier National Park!


Last week Tuesday, February 17, I started a new position at Mount Rainier National Park. Most of you know I've been lucky enough to visit a lot of our parks. And you know how I love mountains and wildflowers.

Growing up in St. Louis, my parents loaded up our car every summer and we would travel out west. Part of the Annual Mass Midwest Migration to escape the heat and humidity and hike/camp in the mountains. Arizona, New Mexico, Wyoming, the Dakotas, Montana, and of course, Colorado. I've been very lucky to visit some of our iconic parks. A couple of years ago, I even got to see Denali National Park, and tiny little corners of Gates of the Arctic National Park and the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska. Those vistas amazed me. There is just no other word, other than "amazing", to describe Alaska.

But back to Rainier. Short of flying through Seattle, I'd never spent any time in Washington state, so I was eager to accept when the job was offered to me. Mt. Rainier is the dominating feature of any skyline in the state. No matter where you are, you know what "The Mountain" is. And now I do to. But I only know a little bit of it. For the next year, I'll be working in and exploring this beautiful park. My goal is to share my experiences in this blog. Don't expect posts or pictures every day, but I'll do my best to keep it updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment